Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers
Bitch Media is a nonprofit, independent, feminist media organization dedicated to providing and encouraging an engaged, thoughtful feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.
We are best known for publishing the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, which started as a zine distributed out of the back of a station wagon in 1996. Today, in addition to the quarterly magazine, we publish daily online articles, and weekly podcasts. We house a community lending library at our HQ in Portland, Oregon, and work with students and educators through our Bitch on Campus program.
We strive to be a fresh, revitalizing voice in contemporary feminism, one that welcomes complex arguments and refuses to ignore the contradictory and often uncomfortable realities of life in an unequivocally gendered world. .
Submissions are open from August 1st-September 15th, 2016 for the 2017 Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers, a series of three-month intensive writing fellowships whose goal is to develop, support, and amplify emerging, diverse voices in feminist, activist, and pop-culture media. The program will be directed by Bitch cofounder Andi Zeisler.
Fellows will work with Bitch Media during one of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
Fellows will work in one of four subject areas during the fellowship period:
- Reproductive rights & justice
- Pop-culture criticism
- Global feminism
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
- Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, even infographic, and are least 600 words in length.
- Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
- Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Skype if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
- Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and blog posts.
- Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
- Have access to the Bitch Media library, which houses more than 2,000 books on feminist theory and activism; gender, race, and queer studies; pop-culture criticism, and social-justice history.
- Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
Applicants must apply for one of four categories (reproductive rights and justice, pop-culture criticism, technology, and global feminism). Applicants may apply for more than one category, but must complete separate application forms for each one. If you are unavailable to accept a fellowship during a specific quarter next year, please make sure to include that information in your application.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by December 1st, 2016.
Text and images by Bitch Media
The original article can be found HERE