Call for Applications: African Podcast Workshop
The African Podcast Workshop is hosted by the Radio Workshop.
The African Podcast Workshop is an online training taking place between April - June 2021. It is free for those who are selected, and requires at least six dedicated hours per week.
Participants must be between 18 and 35 years old and reside in an African country. Workshops will be conducted in English, but stories may be in any language - therefore proficiency is needed.
The course comprises o 10 modules covering podcasting basics "including pitching stories, reporting, interviewing, selecting tape, writing for the ear, and conversational tracking." Modules will be a mix of live sessions, exercises, group work and assignments.
From the African Podcast Workshop website:
What you’ll get -
- A practical introduction to a wide range of audio storytelling skills
- One-on-one training and mentoring with experienced editors and producers
- Experience working on a production team
- Tutorials led by international experts
- Social and community networking events
Who you are -
- 18-35 years old
- Based somewhere, anywhere, in Africa
- You have experience or skills in storytelling, perhaps as a videographer, reporter, activist, visual artist, communications officer, writer, or radio journalist
- You want to tell stories about issues impacting you and your community
- You’re tired of hearing cliché or stereotypical stories about Africans and Africa
- You are interested in creating high production value podcasts, whether as a contributor to an existing show or by going on to create your own podcast
The African Podcast Workshop is sponsored by the American Consulate in South Africa, Africa No Filter, Fossil Foundation, Menell Media Exchange, and the KR Foundation.