Forums

Welcome Forums Ending child marriage Child marriage campaign

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Facebook Profile photo Tinashe Nyoni 1 year ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Facebook Profile photo
    Tinashe Nyoni
    Keymaster

Child Marriage is a human right violation that prevents girls from obtaining an education, build social skills, playing and bonding with others their age, a chance to mature and ultimately choosing a partner of their choice because in most cases these brides are not in love with their groom.How best can we foster effective parent/guardian daughter communication on reproductive health, demystify the culture of forced marriage and to sensitize marginalized parents and girls on the dangers posed by early marriages.

Losina
    Participant

Good question there Tinashe, how do we sensitize our people …? where do we start.? Looking at this issue , i personally feel like we have good policies in place , the law is there to protect people but my question remains ” are these people even aware of what the law says , what human rights is..? and if they are to fall prey , are they aware that it is violation of their rights..? I m saying this because , if you look at Namibia for instance child marriage is happening mostly in rural areas and to them there is nothing wrong with it because to them (culturally) and because of other factors it is acceptable marry off your Girls at a tender age and they have been practicing is for ages. Yes, we are hearing about these issues..we sit right in the cities we are, write policies and documents about the issue but are we involving the communities and people affected, what are we doing to educate these people about the dangers of child Marriage.?

Facebook Profile photo
    Tinashe Nyoni
    Keymaster

Thus it is of paramount importance that we have dialogues at grassroots,it also critical that they is involvement of males,chiefs,community leaders and other opinion leaders.Communities have to all come to the realization that marrying of a girl at a young age is not in anyway a good thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.