14 Feb 2019
Global Doctors for Choice – Executive Director
Date: February 2019
Job Title: Executive Director
Organization: Global Doctors for Choice
Reports To: Chair, Board of Managers
Starting Salary: USD $80,000 plus generous health insurance and vacation benefits, commensurate with experience and potential flexible hours/schedule.
ABOUT GLOBAL DOCTORS FOR CHOICE
Global Doctors for Choice (GDC) is a global network of physicians which contributes the voice of medicine and science to promote reproductive health and rights, and to expand access to comprehensive, evidence based reproductive health services worldwide. Founded in 2007, GDC supports physician-led partner organizations in Brazil, Colombia, Ghana, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico, and South Africa, and transforms individual doctors into skilled advocates who are part of a powerful social movement for systemic change. GDC currently has members from 28 countries. Physicians for Reproductive Health is the fiscal sponsor of GDC and provides certain support services for GDC.
The Executive Director will provide pro-active strategic leadership and play a significant role in the growth and positioning of the organization, so that it can expand collaborative relationships with an increased budget. Resource mobilization and financial sustainability are key responsibilities along with program excellence. The Executive Director is based in his/her home location, but is willing to spend several weeks in New York during the transition and is willing to travel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Resource mobilization and external engagement:
- Represent GDC globally and build trusting, long-lasting relationships with donors, policy makers, partners, members, collaborators and other stakeholders.
- Build strategy to mobilize resources to ensure a sustained and diversified funding base that will support the continued growth and impact of GDC.
- Raise the profile of GDC to increase global outreach and establish it as the “go-to” resource for reproductive rights advocacy.
- Provide vision, strategic direction and creative innovation to further develop GDC into a well-respected, viable global network given current fundraising challenges.
- Lead the development of a new multi-year strategic and operational plan responsive to members’ and partner organizations’ needs, in consultation with the Board of Managers.
- Support existing partner organizations and in-country programs; and seek new partner organizations.
- Continue to upgrade web-presence and on-line advocacy training.
- Develop and implement a monitoring and evaluation system to assess progress and impact.
- Overall responsibility for GDC’s professional integrity, financial sustainability, accountability, and risk management.
- Ensure external reporting standards are met and statutory reporting is in compliance.
- Recruit, mentor and retain motivated and qualified staff and volunteers.
- Experience in developing and implementing a successful and innovative resource mobilization strategy for an international organization with diverse funders, including individuals.
- Proven ability to grow programs or an organization in size and influence.
- Graduate-level degree in a relevant field; medical expertise, a plus.
- Well-positioned in the global reproductive health and rights arena.
- Creativity in leading and inspiring others; strong collaborative skills to develop and achieve goals.
- Experience working in the Global South and/or knowledge of issues from a Global South perspective.
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English; proficiency in other languages desirable.
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER, SALARY REQUIREMENTS, AND CURRICULUM VITAE TO: