Internship on sexual and reproductive health and rights
We have a vacancy!
Internship in Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) networking in Southern Africa
The Hivos Regional Office Southern Africa is offering an opportunity to work on SRHR. The objective of the internship is to enhance the educational experience of undergraduate and graduate students from diverse academic backgrounds through practical work assignments and on-the-job experience in order to expose them to the work being done in the health and development sector.
The position is based in Johannesburg and the intern will work under the guidance of the Project Manager SRHR, who is responsible for managing a Regional Fund on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, which includes a knowledge management function and other related activities such as providing support to the upkeep and promotion of the Sex Rights Africa Network web site as well as developing and implementing projects and programs targeted to SRHR work in Southern Africa.
The work will focus on the following activities:
• Promote the Regional SRHR Fund and Sex Rights Africa Network by identifying creative social media options to conduct outreach with relevant individuals and organizations
• Support the convening of meetings of stakeholders working on SRHR using the web site as well as the organization of face-to-face meetings
• Work with a colleague to identify and support ways to make the web site an active site for networking, knowledge management and convening spaces to collaborate on activities such as advocacy
• Undertake research aimed at identifying relevant documents to upload to the web site as well as to support the development of proposals for future work on SRHR
• Provide support to the management of the grant-making process including support to contracting, logistics, liaison and follow-up with grantees
• Contribute to the drafting of reports and proposals linked to the regional SRHR portfolio
• Attend meetings on SRHR to gather knowledge of relevance to the SRHR portfolio and establish networks of people and organizations working on SRHR
Undergraduates or postgraduates who intend to study further or to work in area of international development ideally with a focus on health/sexual and reproductive health, communications, human rights or fields connected to the objectives of the RSRHR Fund and Hivos SRHR work in Southern Africa.
Requirements & Degree Fields of Study
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic person with:
• Strong research and writing skills
• Experience and ability to use social media and work with web sites
• Experience working on development project is preferred
• Ability to work independently and to interact and network with potential stakeholders
• Degree in International Development, Public Health, Law, Communications, Social Sciences or related fields
• A reference letter from your university and/or from previous relevant work experience is required.
Six months with the potential for extension.
Please note: the Hivos Internship Programme is in no way connected with appointment to positions at the professional level within the organisation.
If you meet the above mentioned requirements (please look carefully), send a letter explaining your motivation to apply for this position and your CV to:
Hivos e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
or deliver: 20 Phillips Avenue, Belgravia, Harare, Zimbabwe.
Deadline for submission of CV and letter:
The deadline for applications is 12 January 2017. Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Commencement date and duration of the Agreement:
Timeframe: The period of the service will start from January 2017 to June 2017
Work Schedule: Working & Research days are from Monday to Friday from 8:30 - 4:30 PM
Location: We are in the process of identifying new office space in Johannesburg. In the short term, the identified intern will work virtually with regular meetings and communication with the Project Manager.